This traditional Pasta E Fagioli recipe (nicknamed Pasta Fazool) is made with dried Borlotti Beans (you can use canned Cannellini Beans), it is comfort food at its best, a truly Italian favorite.
WHAT YOU NEED!⠀
- Dried borlotti beans 200 g or 2 Cans of 15 oz of Cannellini Beans,
- Terre Scelte Tomato Passata 250 g,
- Pancetta (about 3 slices),
- Onions (1 medium) ,
- 2 rib of Celery finely chopped,
- 2 Carrots finely chopped ,
- 2 Garlic Clove,
- Rosemary 3,
- 2 Bay Leaves,
- Extra virgin Olive Oil 10 g ,
- Black pepper,
- Salt to taste,
- Ditalini Pasta (you can also use Macaroni, small Orecchiette, or any other type of small Pasta).⠀
HOW TO COOK!⠀
So, if you are using the dried Borlotti Beans you must let the dry Beans soak overnight.
- The next day rinse them, transfer them in a pot, cover with plenty of cold water, add 2 bay leaves and boil them for about 1 hr 20 minutes.⠀
Meanwhile clean and finely chop the Onion, Celery and Carrots, then cut the Pancetta into strips or you can dice it.⠀
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add Onion and Pancetta, sauté until onions are golden, add peeled Garlic clove and chopped vegetables; fry for about 5 minutes.⠀
- Take the beans and add them to the pan. add the stock from the Beans (cooking water), keep the rest of the stock because you will need it later.
- Now add the Tomato Passata, to the saucepan, salt in moderation, Pepper and cook for 20 minutes over a moderate flame.⠀
Add the Ditallini directly in the pot, add more beans stock (cooking water of the beans) as needed and bring the pasta to cook, stirring occasionally, always on medium heat.⠀
When the pasta is al dente, add the finely chopped Rosemary, then turn off the heat.
- Cover with the lid and let stand for 3 minutes.
- A final sprinkling of Black Pepper and your Pasta and Beans is ready to be served!⠀