Ragu's are slow cooked tomato base sauces that traditionally have a meat of choice. Today's recipe is a classic southern Italian Ragu, using two simple yet flavourful ingredients - Sausage, and Passata.
500g REGAL Fresh Egg Pappardelle
500g Fresh Italian Sausage
1 680g Bottle of TERRE SCELTE Passata
½ cup of Water
½ cup of White Wine
½ cup of Pasta Water
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Remove casing from sausages if whole, and break up the meat
- In a large enough skillet or shallow pot, heat 2 tbsp of oil over high heat, and add crumbled sausage
- Stir regularly to avoid any sticking and to evenly sauté. Lower head to medium and once golden brown add ½ cup of water to help render out any fats. Stir regularly.
- Once water is almost completely evaporated add ½ cup of white wine and cover pan leaving a small vent open for steam to escape. Stir regularly.
- When wine is reduced by half, add the Passata and stir well.
- Lower heat to medium low, leaving pan fully covered. Stir regularly and add water as necessary. Let cook for minimum 1 hour, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your sauce is ready to your liking bring enough water for 500g of pasta to a boil
- Once your water is boiling, add pasta, and cook to desired texture
- When the pasta is cooked, have the Ragu back on medium high and quickly add ½ cup of the water from the pasta to your Ragu and stir before straining the pasta.
- Mix the strained pasta with the Ragu over a medium high flame till pasta is well coated